AN APPEAL FOR SUPPORT
- We seek your support to meet the expenses relating to the formatting of articles and books, maintaining and running the journal through hosting, correrspondences, etc.Please write to the Editor in his e-mail address email@example.com to find out how you can support this journal.
- Also please use the AMAZON link to buy your books. Even the smallest contribution will go a long way in supporting this journal. Thank you. Thirumalai, Editor.
BOOKS FOR YOU TO READ AND DOWNLOAD FREE!
- Purism and Language Planning in a Multilingual Context ...
L. Ramamoorthy, Ph.D.
- Papers Presented in the All-India Conference on Multimedia Enhanced Language Teaching - MELT 2009 ...
L. Ramamoorthy, Ph.D. and J.R. Nirmala, Ph.D.
- A Phonological Study of Variety of English Spoken by Oriya Speakers in Western Orissa - A Doctoral Dissertation ... Arun K. Behera, Ph.D.
- Phonological Analysis of English Phonotactics of
Syllable Initial and Final Consonant Clusters by Yemeni Speakers of English ... Abdulghani. M. A. Al-Shuaibi, M.A.
- A Study of Structural Duplication in Tamil and Telugu - A Doctoral Dissertation ... Parimalagantham, Ph.D.
- The Politics of Survival in the Novels of Margaret Atwood ... Pauline Das, Ph.D.
- Nonverbal Communication in Tamil Novels -
A Book in Tamil ... M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
Girish Karnad as a Modern Indian Dramatist - A Study ...
B. Reena, M.A., M.Phil.
- A Study of English Loan Words in Selected Bahasa Melayu Newspaper Articles...
Shamimah Binti Haja Mohideen, M.HSc. (TESL)
- The Internal Landscape and the Existential Agony of Women in Anjana Appachana’s Novel LISTENING NOW, A Doctoral Dissertation ...
M. Poonkodi, Ph.D.
- Trends and Spatial Patterns of Crime in India - A Case Study of a District in India ...
M. Jayamala,, Ph.D.
- The Trading Community in Early Tamil Society Up To 900 AD ...
R. Jeyasurya, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- A Study of Auxiliaries in the Old and the Middle Tamil ...
A.Boologarambai, M.A., Ph.D.
- History of Growth and Reforms of British Military Administration in India, 1848-1949 ...
Hemalatha, M.A., M.Phil.
- Language of Mass Media: A Study Based on Malayalam Broadcasts - A Doctoral Dissertation ...
K. Parameswaran, Ph.D.
- Form and Function of Disorders in Verbal Narratives - A Doctoral Dissertation ...
Kandala Srinivasacharya, Ph.D.
- Status Marking in Tamil - A Ph.D. Dissertation ...
P. Perumalsamy, Ph.D.
- LANGUAGE AND POWER IN COMMUNICATION ...
Editors: Jennifer M. Bayer, Ph.D., and Pushpa Pai, Ph.D.
- Onomatopoeia in Tamil ...
V. Gnanasundaram, Ph.D.
- Linguistics and Literature ...
C.Shunmugom, Ph.D., and C. Sivashanmugam, Ph.D., V. Thayalan, Ph.D. and C. Sivakumar, Ph.D. (Editors)
- Translation: New Dimensions ...
C.Shunmugom, Ph.D., and C. Sivashanmugam, Ph.D., Editors
- Language of Headlines in Kannada Dailies ...
M. N. Leelavathi, Ph.D.
- Cooperative Learning Incorporating Computer-Mediated Communication: Participation, Perceptions, and Learning Outcomes in a Deaf Education Classroom ...
Michelle Pandian, M.S.
The Effects of Age on the Ability to Learn English As a Second Language ...
Mariam Dadabhai, B.A. Hons.
- A STUDY OF THE SKILLS OF READING COMPREHENSION IN ENGLISH DEVELOPED BY STUDENTS OF STANDARD IX IN THE SCHOOLS IN TUTICORIN DISTRICT, TAMILNADU ...
A. Joycilin Shermila, Ph.D.
- A Socio-Pragmatic Comparative Study of Ostensible Invitations in English and Farsi ...
Mohammad Ali Salmani-Nodoushan, Ph.D.
- ADVANCED WRITING - A COURSE TEXTBOOK ...
Parviz Birjandi, Ph.D.
Seyyed Mohammad Alavi, Ph.D.
Mohammad Ali Salmani-Nodoushan, Ph.D.
- TEXT FAMILIARITY, READING TASKS, AND ESP TEST PERFORMANCE: A STUDY ON IRANIAN LEP AND NON-LEP UNIVERSITY STUDENTS - A DOCTORAL DISSERTATION ...
Mohammad Ali Salmani-Nodoushan, Ph.D.
- A STUDY ON THE LEARNING PROCESS OF ENGLISH
BY HIGHER SECONDARY STUDENTS
WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO DHARMAPURI DISTRICT IN TAMILNADU ...
K. Chidambaram, Ph.D.
- SPEAKING STRATEGIES TO OVERCOME COMMUNICATION DIFFICULTIES IN THE TARGET LANGUAGE SITUATION - BANGLADESHIS IN NEW ZEALAND ...
Harunur Rashid Khan
- THE PROBLEMS IN LEARNING MODAL AUXILIARY VERBS IN ENGLISH AT HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL ...
Chandra Bose, Ph.D. Candidate
- THE ROLE OF VISION IN LANGUAGE LEARNING
- in Children with Moderate to Severe Disabilities ...
Martha Low, Ph.D.
- SANSKRIT TO ENGLISH TRANSLATOR ...
S. Aparna, M.Sc.
- A LINGUISTIC STUDY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE CURRICULUM AT THE SECONDARY LEVEL IN BANGLADESH - A COMMUNICATIVE APPROACH TO CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT by
Kamrul Hasan, Ph.D.
- COMMUNICATION VIA EYE AND FACE in Indian Contexts by
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
VIA GESTURE: A STUDY OF INDIAN CONTEXTS by M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- CIEFL Occasional
Papers in Linguistics,
- Language, Thought
and Disorder - Some Classic Positions by
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- English in India:
Loyalty and Attitudes
by Annika Hohenthal
- Language In Science
by M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Vocabulary Education
by B. Mallikarjun, Ph.D.
- A CONTRASTIVE ANALYSIS OF HINDI
by V. Geethakumary, Ph.D.
- LANGUAGE OF ADVERTISEMENTS
by Sandhya Nayak, Ph.D.
- An Introduction to TESOL:
Methods of Teaching English
to Speakers of Other Languages
by M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Transformation of
into Indexing Language:
Kannada - A Case Study
by B. A. Sharada, Ph.D.
- How to Learn
by M.S.Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Verbal Communication
with CP Children
by Shyamala Chengappa, Ph.D.
and M.S.Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Bringing Order
to Linguistic Diversity
- Language Planning in
the British Raj by
Ranjit Singh Rangila,
M. S. Thirumalai,
and B. Mallikarjun
- E-mail your articles and book-length reports in Microsoft Word to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contributors from South Asia may send their articles to
Central Institute of Indian Languages,
Mysore 570006, India or e-mail to email@example.com.
- PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES GIVEN IN HOME PAGE IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE LIST OF CONTENTS.
- Your articles and booklength reports should be written following the APA, MLA, LSA, or IJDL Stylesheet.
- The Editorial Board has the right to accept, reject, or suggest modifications to the articles submitted for publication, and to make suitable stylistic adjustments. High quality, academic integrity, ethics and morals are expected from the authors and discussants.
Copyright © 2009
M. S. Thirumalai
Language and Literature: An Exposition -
Papers Presented in the Karunya University National Seminar
J. Sundarsingh, Ph.D.
Selected papers from the National Seminar on Language and Literature conducted by the Department of English, Karunya University are presented here.
Language is uniquely human, a gift of God. We believe that humans are created in the image of God, endowed with will power to follow Him, worship Him and care for His creation. Language becomes a powerful instrument in achieving God's purposes in establishing justice, exercising repentance and grace, bringing about healing and deliverance, and expressing our compassion to all creation. Great literature is the record of our lives and God's enabling presence.
Language, including silence, becomes the medium for the expression of literature. Our teaching methods, goals, and content of teaching always need revision to meet the demands of our times. Change in human institutions is inevitable and is caused by the passage of time, as the great Tamil grammar, Nannuul, declares.
Teachers of English and literature in India have a great responsibility in moulding our students to become efficient enough to meet the challenges of globalization and changing demands on our lives through this process. Any and every creative addition to Language and Literature teaching will help our students and the country.
My grateful thanks are due to our Founder and the Chancellor of Karunya University Dr. Paul Dhinakaran, M.B.A., Ph.D., Vice-chancellor Dr. Paul P. Appasamy M.S.(Chemical Engg.), M.B.A., Ph.D., Registrar Dr. (Mrs) Anne Mary Fernandez M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., and the Director of the School of Sciences and Humanities Dr. B. Selvaraj, MSc., Ph.D.. My co-laborers in the Department of English at Karunya University made this seminar a reality, through their hard work. I'm immensely grateful to them all.
The papers are presented in a very convenient format. If you want to print the entire volume click the first link below. If you want to read a particular paper and print it, please choose your link or links that follow the first link. Titles of the paper/s as well as the author/s are given in the links given below. This should help you to navigate easily. All the papers are given in pdf format so that it becomes easy to print and read.
With best wishes
J. Sundarsingh, Ph.D.
- Similes in Meghduta - The Absolute Craftsmanship in Language
Amrita Sharma, Ph.D.
- Culture of the Tamil Society as Portrayed in
Ponniyin Selvan ...
Prinkle Queensta. M., M.A., M.Phil. Candidate
- Deconstructing Human Society: An Appreciation of Amitav Ghosh's Sea Of Poppies ...
Ravi Bhushan, Ph.D. & Ms Daisy
- Enabling Students to Interpret Literary Texts Independently by
Enhancing their Vocabulary ... S. Jayalakshmi, M.A., M.Phil.
- Coping with the Problems of Mixed Ability Students ...
Archana Shrivastava, Ph.D.
- Displaced Diasporic Identities -
A Case Study of Mordecai Richler's The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
...J. Samuel Kirubahar, M.A., M.Phil., B.Ed., Ph.D. and
Ms. Beulah Mary Rosalene, M.A., B.Ed., M.Phil.
- English Language Teaching in Developing Countries
Error Analysis and Remedial Teaching Methods - An Overview ... K. A. Krishnalalitha, M.A., M.Phil.
- Diaspora Literature - A Hybrid or a Hybridized Product? ...
C. GangaLakshmi, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D. Candidate
- Anita Desai's Journey To Ithaca -
A Manifestation of Vedantic Knowledge
S. B. Bhambar, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- A Study on the Physiological, Psychological and Spiritual Perspectives of Different Selves in a Self with Special Reference to Yann Martel's SELF
S. Joseph Arul Jayraj, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- Conveniences and Complexities of Computer-Aided Language Learning ...
K. Yugandhar, Ph.D., V. Srinivas, Ph.D., and A. Ramakrishna Rao, Ph.D.
- The Danger Lurking Within:
The African American Woman in Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye
... P.V. Annie Gladys and Edwinsingh Jeyachandra
- Practices and Paradigms of Using Multimedia and Language Laboratory for Teaching Communication Skills to Technical Students ...
K. Yugandhar, Ph.D., V. Srinivas, Ph.D. and A. Ramakrishna Rao, Ph.D.
- English: A Blessing in Disguise -
A Study of Chinua Achebe's Technique of Hybridization
... Smitha Mohandas
- Language Teaching - The Present Day Challenges ...
D. Kanta Rao, M.A., B.Ed., Ph.D. Candidate and J. M. Kanthi Thilakha, M.A., B.Ed., Ph.D. Candidate
- Is Literature a Viable Medium for ESL Acquisition? ...
V. Sakthivel, M.A., M.Phil. and N. Kavidha, Ph.D.
- The Lord of The Rings : Galadriel, The Light Of Middle-Earth ...
Shobha Ramaswamy, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D. Candidate
- Teaching Reading - A Challenge in Itself ... Deepa Sethi, Ph.D.
- The Problems of Teaching/Learning Tenses ...
K. R. Vijaya, M.A., M. Phil. and Latha Viswanath, M.A., M.Phil., B.Ed.
- The Silent Way ... A. Selvalakshmi, M.A., M.Phil., B.Ed., Ph.D.
- Translator as Reader: Phenomenology and Text Reception -
An Investigation of Indulekha ... Muralikrishnan T.R., Ph.D.
- The Dysfunctional Women in Mary Gordon's
The Other Side ... Raichel M. Sylus, M. A., M. Phil.
- Utopia and Dystopia, Conflict Between Two Extremes - An Appraisal of Anita Desai's Cry, The Peacock ... V. Sunitha, M.A., M.Phil.
- Reading 'god' Backwards ... Sreena K.
- The Comic Vision in the Stories and Sketches of R.K.Narayan ...
S. Gunasekaran, Ph.D. Candidate
- My Responses to The English Teacher ... T. Aparna, M.Phil.
- 'Fall from Grace into Grief': Putting into Perspective
the Outrages of Terrorism in Salman Rushdie's Shalimar the Clown ... S. Jenefa Kiruba Malar
- Style and Language in
M. G. Vassanji's The Assassin's Song ...
C. Amutha Charu Sheela, M.A., M.Phil., M.B.A.
- Affirmation of Life in Lloyd C. Douglas'
Magnificent Obsession ...
Renie Johnson, M.A., M Phil.
- Effectiveness of Group Investigation Model
and Simulation Model in Teaching English ...
John George Athyal and Maya Dutt, Ph.D.
- A Mathematical Treatment of Feministic Literature for
the Prediction of Social Trends ...
Kartik Sharma and Sandeep Panda
- Multiple Intelligences and Second Language Learning ...
S. Diravidamani , M.A. Candidate
- Amitav Ghosh's The Circle Of Reason - A Study of Diaspora
N. Jaishree, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D. Candidate
- The Role of Multimedia in Teaching Writing in English ...
P. Nagaraj, Ph.D. and Sindhu Thamban
This is only the Editor's Note. PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR THE ENTIRE VOLUME IN PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION.
Linguistic Purism and Language Planning in a Multilingual Context | The Problems of Teaching/Learning Tenses | Language and Literature: An Exposition - Papers Presented in Karunya University International Seminar | Similes in Meghduta - The Absolute Craftsmanship in Language | Culture of the Tamil Society as Portrayed in Ponniyin Selvan | Deconstructing Human Society: An Appreciation of Amitav Ghosh's Sea Of Poppies | Enabling Students to Interpret Literary Texts Independently by
Enhancing their Vocabulary | Coping with the Problems of Mixed Ability Students | Displaced Diasporic Identities - A Case Study of Mordecai Richler's The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz | English Language Teaching in Developing Countries Error Analysis and Remedial Teaching Methods - An Overview | Diaspora Literature - A Hybrid or a Hybridized Product? | Anita Desai's Journey To Ithaca - A Manifestation of Vedantic Knowledge | A Study on the Physiological, Psychological and Spiritual Perspectives of Different Selves in a Self with Special Reference to Yann Martel's SELF | Conveniences and Complexities of Computer-Aided Language Learning | The Danger Lurking Within: The African American Woman in Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye | Practices and Paradigms of Using Multimedia and Language Laboratory for Teaching Communication Skills to Technical Students | English: A Blessing in Disguise - A Study of Chinua Achebe's Technique of Hybridization | Language Teaching - The Present Day Challenges | Is Literature a Viable Medium for ESL Acquisition? | The Lord of The Rings : Galadriel, The Light Of Middle-Earth | Teaching Reading - A Challenge in Itself | The Silent Way | Translator as Reader: Phenomenology and Text Reception - An Investigation of Indulekha | The Dysfunctional Women in Mary Gordon'sThe Other Side | Utopia and Dystopia, Conflict Between Two Extremes - An Appraisal of Anita Desai's Cry, The Peacock | Reading 'god' Backwards | The Comic Vision in the Stories and Sketches of R.K.Narayan | My Responses to The English Teacher | 'Fall from Grace into Grief': Putting into Perspective the Outrages of Terrorism in Salman Rushdie's Shalimar the Clown | Style and Language in M. G. Vassanji's The Assassin's Song | Affirmation of Life in Lloyd C. Douglas' Magnificent Obsession | Effectiveness of Group Investigation Model and Simulation Model in Teaching English | A Mathematical Treatment of Feministic Literature for the Prediction of Social Trends | Multiple Intelligences and Second Language Learning | Amitav Ghosh's The Circle Of Reason - A Study of Diaspora | The Role of Multimedia in Teaching Writing in English | A PRINT VERSION OF ALL THE PAPERS OF JUNE 2010 ISSUE IN BOOK FORMAT | HOME PAGE of January 2010 Issue | HOME PAGE | CONTACT EDITOR
J. Sundar Singh, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D
Department of English
Coimbatore - 641 114
- Send your articles
as an attachment
to your e-mail to
- Please ensure that your name, academic degrees, institutional affiliation and institutional address, and your e-mail address are all given in the first page of your article. Also include a declaration that your article or work submitted for publication in LANGUAGE IN INDIA is an original work by you and that you have duly acknolwedged the work or works of others you either cited or used in writing your articles, etc. Remember that by maintaining academic integrity we not only do the right thing but also help the growth, development and recognition of Indian scholarship.